Pages

My Counter:)

RSS

Welcome to my Blog
Hope you enjoy reading.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Book Report:Sold



The book I read this week is called Sold and it's written by Patricia McCormick. The life of a young girl living poor but happy with her family in Nepal. The family is full and complete with the little they have, until mother nature decides to betray them. Young girl named Lakshmi wants to get a job as a maid to help out the family, her step dad gets her a job. It's not anything like Lakshmi expected, she had been sold into prostitution. Now in order to survive with hopes of making it back home Lakshmi has to struggle with being locked up, beaten, starved, drugged, raped, "torn and bleeding". Lakshmi can only hope and that's all you got left to do if you were stuck in this situation.

I always heard stories that people from Nepal, or Africa especially woman would always get abducted or were sold into prostitution and things like this. But I never quite put much attention to it, since it was so far away and I am so young to do anything about it. After I read this story I had a different point of view in things, because stuff like this is even happening today. Not long ago I made an account at a website called change.org and I've recently received some e-mails, about stuff like this story that I read that's been happening around the world. By signing a petition online, I discovered that I made a slight difference in one of those girls lives, and hopefully sooner or later will help stop situations like this to keep from happening.

Lakshmi discovers a whole new chapter of hope in her life, when a little boy that sells Tea to them, comes secretly and teaches her to read. From all the bad things that happened in her life, she makes the best out of it and learns new things. I really admire this about her, it's so hard to look at the glass half full when so many bad things are going on at once. I learned that even though you might be in the worst situation imaginable, you can scoop up some good thing about it or even learn something too.

No comments:

Post a Comment